Friday, October 5, 2012

My Dirty Little Secret

I've been avoiding writing about this for some time now, but this is such a magical wonderland I realized I have been selfish. It is time to talk about the one and only Gwangjang Market!

Thrifting and vintage shops are a passion of mine. I love the idea that "one man's trash is another man's treasure", or "one old woman's frock is my new summer dress!" I was bummed when I heard that thrift stores aren't very common in Korea; everyone's trying to wear the latest styles and newest clothes. After intense Google research and extensive blogger fishing, I finally discovered the hidden gem.

Gwangjang Market is a dream land! Inside is a labyrinth of dozens and dozens of tiny shops.

Shoes! Glorious shoes!
A cat denim vest
A hallway with stalls everywhere
A plaid suit for 56,000 won. What a deal!
The first time I went, I was in such awe of everything I didn't buy anything. It's such a maze! I've been back several times since and bought dresses, denim vests, awkward track jackets, and shoes. One thing I learned that I think is essential to know, if you see something buy it. Numerous times I saw something I liked, decided I'll look around more and come back. When I decided to go back to a specific stall to make the final purchase, I could never find it. It would take me ages to finally find the same stall again. Something else I noticed, is that they are very seasonal. I went in August and there were denim vests and tank tops galore! Two weeks later, a dress I had my eye on was gone, as were most of the denim vests, which were replaced my denim jackets and long sleeved shirts.

How do you get to this magical wonderland, you ask? Well let me tell you my way and what I think is easiest (other people may tell you differently)
  1. Take Line 1 (dark blue line) to Jongno 5-ga
  2. Walk to Exit 12
  3. Walk out of Exit 12
  4. On your left you should see an alley with an NH Bank on the left, and the Pharmacy (약) on the right.
  5. Walk through the alley
  6. When you reach the first intersection in the alley, on your right, you will see a staircase that says "Textile Gallery Joong Ang"
  7. Go upstairs. 
  8. Enter the door.
  9. Walk straight through the fabric stalls. You should see a staircase at the end of the hallway, which is at the end of the vintage clothes market.
  10. Then the adventure begins. 
  11. If you didn't see the staircase, you went the wrong way. 
You should walk down this once you enter the market area
Gwangjang Market sign
If you explore a little more, at the edges of the stalls with young, hip Koreans working, explore the outskirts.  I went down a creepy hallway and found myself in an area with ajummas working and the selection was older, muskier, and better. There were leather coats, fur coats, purses, cardigans, and a cat dress that I so regret not buying. (I went back later, and it was gone).

The cat dress!
If you go to the market, let me know what you end up finding!


No comments:

Post a Comment