Monday, September 24, 2012

Korean Baseball Game

After our first attempt at a Korean baseball game was shut down by rain, my friend Joeanna and I finally made it to a game on her last night in Korea. I especially wanted to go to an LG Twins game, because they had the same name and similar logo to my beloved Minnesota Twins. Luckily, this game was the LG Twins versus the KIA Tigers.

Inflatable red clappers errywhere
I hate to admit this, but baseball games in Korea are soooo much more fun and exciting than baseball games in America. First of all, you can bring your own food and beer into the game! Families brought full pizzas and boxes of chicken in the stadium. Many people (myself included) brought in their own beer from one of the many convenient stores outside the stadium, and even if you wanted to buy beer there, it was only about 3,000 won! Amazing!
Ominous weather. Luckily, no rain that night.
Not only was the BYOB concept great, but the fans are a whole other story. For both teams, there were songs and chants that everyone took part in, songs for specific players, songs for whatever was happening in the game, even Justin Bieber's Baby was turned into a baseball chant. The fans' enthusiasm was contagious. I had no idea what was being said, but I found myself clapping and yelling at everything. My favorite thing that I really think baseball fans in America need to adapt are what I called "the Clappers". They are long inflatable tubes that you inflate to the fullest and clap together to make a loud, annoying sound. Not only do they make a lot of noise, but they are a hoot to clap together.

Keg-on-a-back. America, do you see this?
I forgot to mention that they had cheerleaders at the baseball game. AND instead of selling beer in cans or bottles, guys with kegs on their backs came around refilling cups.


1 comment:

  1. Korean baseball, Twins, way cool.

    ^_^

    - Marlon

    ReplyDelete