Monday, January 30, 2012

Beginning in Bangkok

I arrived in Bangkok at about 6:30 PM Sunday night on New Year's Day. I had no idea what I was doing. No research. No travel/guide books. Just me, my instincts and advice from others. This was probably the most unplanned, spontaneous, irresponsible trip I have ever taken, but I think it worked out for the best because it was truly some of the most amazing weeks of my life.

Massages on Khao San
At the airport, I decided to head to Khao San Road for the night via taxi, since I couldn't find a train straight to Chang Mai from the airport which is what I intended to do. As I was standing in line for a cab trying to look as lost as possible hoping some nice people would invite me to hang out with them and follow them on their well planned vacation, a Canadian man approached me asking me questions. Clearly my "lost girl" look needs more work. Luckily this man was also heading to Khao San Road so we split a cab and both saved some baht. I wish I remembered his name, but this Canadian man from Montreal with a funny accent was one of the jolliest, nicest, most helpful people ever with an amazing philosophy on life. He was on holiday from teaching in China, where he has been teaching for almost 7 years. He was starting in Bangkok then eventually heading down to Singapore to get surgery to fix the cataracts in his eyes because he was going blind. Best of luck to you good sir.

Nighttime on Khao San Road
Moving on, Khao San Road was insane. There are foreigners everywhere! I actually went through some culture shock coming from Korea where there are only Koreans. I walked around Khao San and Rabuttri Road, checked out all the little shops on the road and tasted some street food. I wish I could have gone out to party, but I was exhausted from the night before and I really didn't feel that safe going out on Khao San drinking alone, so I went to my room and passed out. Next time.

Pretty lights
Khao San Road was definitely a trip. It was too crowded for my taste, but I recommend everyone to go, it's an experience all in it's own that everybody needs to check out.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about the "lost girl look'; sometimes it works like magic and other times, not so much. I like the pictures.

    ReplyDelete