Thursday, January 26, 2012

NYE in Seoul

Celebrating New Year's Eve in one of the biggest cities in the world was a ton of fun, AND I believe Seoul is one of the first Metropolitan cities to ring in the new year in the world. Pretty cool. Apparently there were some fireworks and bell ringing somewhere in Seoul which I planned on going to, but I'm glad I never made it there because I heard it was actually pretty lame.

The whole group at dinner
My NYE started by taking the bus to Seoul with my pal Connor. It was enjoyable ride to Seoul, the bus was empty and we had nice weather and nice scenery to keep us company, along with some cocktails. As we arrived in Seoul, Connor and I parted ways. My flight for Thailand was the next morning at 9:00 am so I was carrying around my huge pack with me and I looked like a loser tourist wandering around Seoul. I eventually figured out how to work the lockers in Korean to put my stuff in, then I met up with some peeps in Gangnam. We ate lots of raw fish and drank lots of sake. After, we went to a bar called Woodstock where we got to pick our own music and where we rang in 2012. It was a jolly good time.
At Woodstock, in Gangnam
Later, me, and my friends Jazmine and Zaaid took a cab to Hongdae to find Connor. Connor took us to some sweet bar that felt like an underground basement club. It was sick, there was an awesome DJ and an interesting crowd of people. We partied til 6:00 am when the subways opened again so we could all partake in the "subway of shame". I parted ways with my companions, got lost in the subway station looking for my locker, miraculously made it to the airport in time, somehow managed to successfully exchange Korean Won to Thai Baht with my New Years buzz still going strong, and had time to spare to shove some kimbap in my belly before my flight. I even had time to nap! (Side note: my nap was actually me passing out in a ball in the corner of the terminal floor). I woke up just in time to hop on the plane to Thailand (with a short stopover in Beijing).

Spending my first NYE abroad was awesome. I had a super time with great people, and I started off the new year with a trip to somewhere new, I hope that's a sign for what  is to come... I think it's safe to say 2012 is off to a promising start.

No comments:

Post a Comment