Monday, April 23, 2012

An Almost Awkward Moment with my Evening Class

I just finished my night class, which is probably one of my favorite classes because they love to talk and they love to talk about absolutely anything. Their English isn't that great, but the aren't afraid to try which is amazing. (I believe they are all around 11 to 12 years old).
Brian (the boy loves to talk) and Steven (the other boys call him handsome and tell me that he has 21 girlfriends and then he gets embarrassed and sometimes cries)
Tonight some of the boys were looking through someone's phone and I asked them why they were looking at their phone instead of listening. Steve (they are given English names) replies "Teacher, December 21 we die!" Then Steven pulls a Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone and grabs his face and tells me, "Teacher, I'm scared!" And randomly, Steve tells me something about how there are going to be a lot of babies born in September in 2013. I asked why, and he replied "internet news". I was confused, but I just nodded my head and said "Ahaaa".

I then move the conversation back to Steven and try explaining the ancient Mayan belief and used the Korean word 미신, which translates to 'superstition'. Then I used my best konglish (Korean+English) and told him "some people say we die, many many people say we no die." This seemed to cheer him up as he gave me a big grin with a thumbs up and said "Thank you teacher! I am very happy!"

Steve jumps in again and shows me this picture:
I then started laughing hysterically and choked on my own spit in the process and my class stared back at me with eyes of confusion. Then fear came over me as I realized I may have to explain that a pregnancy is nine months and also explain that people will be doing on the dirty on the day the human race is supposedly coming to an end. I think talking about the birds and bees to my students would be the most horrifyingly amusing experience ever. Thank goodness they got over the fact that I'm probably a crazy waygook and didn't ask me what was so funny.


No comments:

Post a Comment