Monday, July 2, 2012

Music Monday

This past weekend I attended the last show in Korea by a beloved band, Wagwak. They are an amazing two person band, consisting of Daehyun Kim and Sangyoung Cho, who I personally think helped change the Indie music scene in Seoul. Despite only being a duo, the two play a variety of instruments: guitar, drums, bass, ukulele, melodica, and xylophone. I've only been able to see them live three times before they start their adventure across the pond, but each show has been amazing and these two are full of energy.
Taken with Instagram
Wagwak stands for "we are not gay, we are Korean", which refers to their stylish fashion sense. Another notable thing about Wagwak is they sing in English. Their sound remains Korean indie but you can also sense their inspiration from popular indie folk bands like Mumford and Sons and Noah and the Whale. Korea's indie scene has some big shoes to fill when Wagwak gives it a go in London. In an interview, Daehyun said that he'll finally cut off his 2009 Glastonbury wristband when they perform there, and I'm really hoping I'll get to be there for that performance. Best of luck, Wagwak, I'll miss you in Korea!

If you're interested in hearing what they have to offer, you can check out their soundcloud page here.

Daehyun looks sleepy, but man! Connor and I were stoked.


No comments:

Post a Comment