Friday, June 8, 2012

Getting a Haircut in Inje

I did it. After almost two months of debate I finally got my first haircut in Korea. I hate it.
To start off, I don't know why, but I do not like getting my hair cut. I'm afraid of how it will look, I'm afraid I won't get what I want, and I think my hair is my security blanket that I don't like strangers touching and cutting. I was nervous going in (as always) but since I see Korean girls with super pretty haircuts, and Korea is generally a pretty stylish country, I was fairly confident they would do a good job wherever I went. I wanted a trim (about three inches off) and new bangs since mine had completely grown out.
This is what I was afraid of (stolen from roketship)

I initially wanted to the to a salon in Inje where a man worked, because I though he looked really cool and would give me an equally cool looking hair cut, but I went in and he gave me the big arm X meaning "NO".

I continued wandering around town and ran into my friend Connor who recommended a place to go where all the boys get their haircuts. Their hair always looks nice, and he said the lady was "smart" so I went in. There was a K-pop concert on the TV, so I though "Man, this is going to be good. This woman must know stylish hair if she is has k-pop on TV." 


It was my turn. This woman knew no English, and I knew very little Korean. This was expected, but I was super excited for the adventure of the language barrier, yet being to able to get an awesome haircut. I motioned I wanted about three inches off, and showed her pictures of various bang styles that I liked. She nodded and started. Next thing I know, seven of inches of hair are gone! Tears almost emerged. She even knew that she did it when she went "oh" and put her hand where I told her I wanted my hair, and where my hair was. Oh really?


This is Grimes. I love her.
I said "okay" because I was in shock and I knew tears of sorrow wouldn't make my hair magically grow back. Then she cut my bangs. They don't look anything like any of the pictures I showed her. My bangs look like Grimes's bangs. That's her above. She encompasses everything I wish I could be, but I unfortunately am not cool enough to have bangs like her. I smiled, mumbled a goodbye and thank you in Korean, left, put my hair in a ponytail, bought ice cream and a bottle of 복분자주 (Korean black raspberry wine), which I am currently enjoying to drown my hair woes.

I'll probably be used to my haircut in about three days and get over this. And to be honest, I hate 80% of the haircuts I get anyway. And I'm probably just being a typically whiny girl, hating on their own haircut. Well, I hope your haircut is better than mine. I recommend bringing pictures of what you want when get a haircut with a non-English speaker. I'm off, I hope you enjoyed my 복분자주-filled rant.

1 comment: