Monday, October 10, 2011

My 1 Week Anniversary

Thursday, October 6th was my one week anniversary of being in Korea. On this day I also became fluent in Korean English.

I taught my second class which definitely went better than the first but it still didn't go as smoothly as I would have hoped. My second class was younger than my first class so it was much easier to keep them entertained with learning games. I think we focus more on memory and vocabulary rather than reading comprehension and listening and writing so I'm having a hard time remembering that and not focusing on reading especially.

My fluency in Korean English is amazing. Using key words and not speaking in complete sentences is pretty much all I do. My first fluent sentence? "Arazue Teacher no class. Arazue Teacher sleepy time. No you." They understood me completely.

On my one week anniversary, Andrew planned a welcome get together in my honor and I got to meet the rest of the crew that lives in Inje. I met Tony (guy from Ontario), Ashley (guy from South Africa), Connor (guy from Tennessee), and Adrian (guy from New Zealand; it was so good to hear a New Zealand accent again, it had been almost 4 years). We started at a place called Shabe Shabe, which like traditional Korean restaurants, you sit on the floor and the food in cooked in front of you while you wait. Afterwards we went to a place called Jokke Jokke, which is technically the only "bar" in Inje. Here I was introduced to a fun little drink that I can't remember the name of, but it's pretty much a Soju-beer bomb, and a bomb it was. It was deadly. Here's an example courtesy of Google:

Looks delicious, right?
All in all, it was a fun night, rough morning, and good to meet everyone in my town.

No comments:

Post a Comment