Monday, December 12, 2011

Yoga Class

As I've mentioned before, I've started taking yoga classes during my time in Korea. Yes, I still think it's weird too, as I am a skeptic of the art of yoga. Well let me share one of my more interesting yoga classes with you.

Usually I have yoga on Monday, Wednesday, Friday mornings, however last Wednesday our working schedule changed so Fathima and I had to go to the evening yoga class on Wednesday. I kind of wish we just didn't go.

We went in and it was all full of ajummas (아줌마). Ajummas are defined as older women above the age of 40 years old. These ajummas in my class were in there 60s and some probably in their 70s. "Oh great" I thought, "now I won't be too embarrassed with my nonexistent flexibility with these old women." Man was I ever wrong. They were the most flexible women I had ever seen! I bet if they wanted, they could have kissed their own butts. If it were the 2008 Olympics, and there was a competition on strictly flexibility, these women would give Nastia Liukin a run for her money.

To make matters worse I was dragged to a mat in the front of the class. Why? I don't know. I truly despise being in the front of a group of people (yes, I struggle with this when teaching too). It was pretty embarrassing, but I'm sure comical for everyone behind me.

To make matters even worse there was a strange man videotaping and taking pictures of our class during my yoga struggle. Why was he there? I don't know.

Even more embarrassing was the when I stayed in the same position without realizing that we have moved on. And everyone laughed. In my defense, the instructor speaks in Korean (obviously) so when my eyes are closed and she tells us to change positions, I have no idea. I guess I was just really in the zone.

Namaste, my friends

No comments:

Post a Comment